Thursday, February 7, 2013

Music: Ryan Adams - Gold

Gold (2001)
No, not Bryan Adams. I'm guessing that at least one of the people reading this might only have heard of Bryan Adams. If through this post I redirect just one person from Bryan Adams to Ryan Adams then the entire existence of this blog up til now is justified. I guess Bryan Adams isn't all that bad... I guess. But I've already dwelt too much on the subject. The focus is Ryan Adams. No "b." Ryan Adams is Top 5 material for me - that is, he is on my list of Top 5 Favorite Artists of All Time. This is a list in my head that fluctuates from time to time - but Ryan is always on it. Not at the top - that's U2 - but he's always there.

And Gold (2001) is my all-time favorite Ryan Adams album. No question. Well... Jacksonville City Nights (2005) might stand shoulder-to-shoulder. But my perspective is kind of unique because among hardcore Ryan Adams fans Gold doesn't usually jump to the top - for some its at the bottom of the heap. Not a surprise as it is his most commercially succesful album - hardcore fans of any group often see that as a negative (the "I liked it before it was popular" syndrome). But it was my first Ryan Adams experience and that usually means something. I can barely remember how I found him. Back when the most popular browser was Netscape I used to spend hours looking for new music on CDnow.com following their "You might also like these artists..." links and downloading song samples on limewire. I think that's how I found it. Dont worry, I always bought the album (if the music was good). I'm kind of traditional that way.

Whether or not it's your first Ryan Adams album or not doesn't matter. Gold is Adams' second studio album and his most eclectic - rich with a classic feeling mix of genre influences including rock, country, and blues. His record company seems to have had some difficulties labeling the album - it was nominated for both rock and country awards at the Grammy's. The video for "New York, New York" played on country music TV channels but most of the album doesn't fit the glossy pop makeover of modern country music - it has more in common with the stuff from a few decades before. I once saw his music as part of a "Renegade Country" endcap at Best Buy, partnered with the likes of Wilco and Brandi Carlile.

The music video for "New York, New York" - filmed just a few days before 9/11

When I say its his most eclectic album I say so knowing full well Adams full career span is prolifically diverse. Active for about 13 years now as a solo artist, he's released 13 full-fledged studio albums, four of which could be classified as double albums, with three releases coming in one year alone (2005's Cold Roses, Jacksonville City Nights, and 29). Each has its own distinct style that stands alone from the others while still being Ryan Adams. One is completely shredder metal. But the rich vintage feel of Gold is probably his most feel-good album.

Although there are no weak points on Gold, Adams' finest stuff is the run from tracks 2-5, which covers everything from heartsick love songs ("Answering Bell", "La Cienega Just Smiled") to rip-roaring harmonica tunes ("Firecracker") to transcendent blues ("Rescue Blues"). Take "Firecracker" for instance. A quick-driving guitar riff, Hammond organs in the back, and a soaring bluesy harmonica whenever Ryan's not singing lyrics like this: "So when does the plane go down? / 'Cause I'm gonna ride it till it hits the ground / Then go out with a fight / 'Cause I just wanna be your baby tonight." It only gets better from there.

Ryan as the quintessential cab driver to the rescue

First these songs loosen you up. Then they excite you. Then they make you blissfully melancholy. And finally they leave you feeling kind of grateful. Some have said the best music, literature, film, art, etc., leaves you changed after you experience it. It invigorates you to the degree that you know its more than just entertainment. You're a different person after experience it. If you're not feeling that after the 9-minute blues journey story-song of "Nobody Girl" or the simple hard-rock driver that is "Enemy Fire" than maybe you just need to turn up the volume or put on some better headphones. I understand that maybe it won't have that effect on you. But maybe you'll get that lovin' feeling. Or maybe I'm just holding on too tightly to that teenage emotion.

Even Bono couldn't resist covering Ryan ("When The Stars Go Blue", track 7)

For the aficionados and Gold-lovers out there look for the deluxe version with an extra disc of songs - Adams originally meant it to be a double album. Seeing as how he's on my Top 5 it really was an obligation for me to get it once I found out about it. There are a couple gems on there. And if you made it this far and you're still wondering when I'm going to talk about "Summer of 69" then please hit the "blog self destruct" button now, as it is clear I have failed you.

2 comments:

  1. You forgot to mention that When the Stars Go Blue was our wedding song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was. Well that and U2's In A Little While.

      Delete